Friday, April 5, 2013

Spinach, Beet and Goat Cheese Salad



It's Spring time and when the weather starts warming up and the days are longer I try to eat on the lighter and brighter side.  I'm someone who has always had a weekly meal planner and salads are a perfect way to start the week.  I always do my shopping on the weekend so I usually start the week with fresh veg.  This salad is delish and packed with lots of antioxidants, Omega-3,and Folic acid.

Tip:  Wash all of your veggies as soon as you bring them home.  I wash and store them in damp paper towels and airtight containers, and I usually slice and chop all of the components in advance so I only need to assemble the day of.

List of ingredients:

  • Baby Spinach
  • Golden Grape Tomatoes
  • Red Onion
  • Roasted Beets
  • Dried Cranberries
  • Toasted Walnuts
  • Goat cheese (crumbled)   
  1.  Roasting Beets:  Trim and remove stems of whole beets (leave the skin on).  Wrap in foil and place on the grill or in the oven for about 1 hour, depending on size.  I grilled on indirect heat with the grill set on med/high with the center burners turned off and lid closed.  If you opt for the oven, set temp at 375 F and check for tenderness every 25 min.  beets are ready when you can easily pierce with a knife.  When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel the skin off with a pairing knife or just by hand. (Beets will stain so be careful with the juices.  I usually rub the skins off wearing rubber gloves or even using plastic sandwich bags over my hands).   After skins are removed slice and store.  
  2. Toasting Walnuts:  In a large fry pan over med/high heat add walnut halves to the hot,dry pan and cook, watching constantly and stirring frequently.  About 5 min.  You can also toast the walnuts in the oven on a sheet lined with foil at 375 F for about 5-10 min.  Sprinkle with a pinch of salt when finished and store in an airtight container.
  3. Slice and Assemble:  Slice red onions and golden grape tomatoes into thin rings.  Assemble all remaining ingredients liberally and serve with either a little balsamic and olive oil or your favorite vinaigrette dressing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment